Re: LTR

Brad:

It stands for "larger than resonant".   (1.57 x Cresonant value)

If you calculate the impedance match between a NST and capacitor value, there is one value at which he impedances match, ie "resonant". This produce max energy transfer, however, a resonant condition may ensue between the NST and this capacitor value which could damage the xmfr even with a protective circuit.

The LTR term is derived by multiplying the impedance matched "resonant value", Cres, by 1.57 to obtain the max LTR value a xmfr can charge the cap in a reasonable amount of time, ie, so it reaches full charge before firing at the next plus or minus peak on the 60 Hz waveform (120 plus/minus peaks per sec).

Terry Fritz has published the correct LTR values in the archives to match NST with proper capacitor value.

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/MMCcapSales.gif

Dr. Resonance

Hello all,
Having been inactive for several years I have seen mentioned LTR caps in the archives and some websites. I would like to learn more about this practice. Can someone recommend a website or source of information on this topic?
Brad McPeak