Re: Tesla Coil RF Transmitter

Hi,

At 01:54 PM 9/12/2005, you wrote:

That's true about a properly grounded Tesla Coil Dan, but the Effective Radiated Power (ERP) would still be miniscule, probably undetectable (electromagnetic waves) beyond about 500 to 1000m distance I would think. It would be interesting to know if anyone has tried detecting Tesla Coil signals with a good communications receiver.

Chuck

Many people have tried to detect Tesla coil fundamental signals at a significant distance. Any LW band receiver will work fine with very high sensitivity. Richard Hull, I believe, got out to about a city block. In general, a few hundred feet is pretty good for a large well grounded coil.

The much higher frequencies of RF noise given off buy the spark gap (1 to 1000++ MHz) can go much further and are the cause of TV interference and such. At high frequencies, the small lead lengths of the primary wiring can be significant transmitters.

Cheers,

        Terry