Re: Electrets and Magnets

Original poster: "Binny" <binny@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Brilliant duction I can't wait to see what the experts have to say on that one!
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2005 3:06 PM
Subject: Electrets and Magnets

Original poster: stork <stork@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

9-11-05

I've read that when an electret pole is move linearly across a pole of a permanent magnet that a perpendicular force is exerted on the electret. This force is not attraction or repulsion, but exerted 90 degrees from the path of movement of the electret.

If so, could this this just be a different face of our old friend the Lorentz force which is applied to steady state electric and magnetic fields? But, isn't the Lorentz force applied to a conductor with a current within a magnetic field? So where's the current with the permanent and electret? Maybe the Lorentz force doesn't need a current conductor. Maybe the Lorentz force is a "field" phenomenon. Perhaps an unrecognized quantum effect.

http://www.sciencejoywagon.com/physicszone/lesson/otherpub/wfendt/lorentzforce.htm

What geometry of electrets and Tesla coils would allow shaping of the TC field? Could a directed TC field be produced. Perhaps a spiraling TC directed field?

Electrets are not hard to make, but with their commercial availability today (cell phones) does anyone know of a readily available source? I would like to observe this phenomenon before speculating much further.

Stork