Re: Introduction / LTR caps

Original poster: "Mark Broker" <mbroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

That chart was designed only for common NST values.

A properly designed MMC will work on any sized Tesla Coil, even Greg Leyh's ALF facility. Multiple parallel strings are used to increase the current handling capacity of the MMC. 5 strings in parallel will be running about 2160A.... Which, incidentally, works out just about right IMO: 15 caps per string, 5 strings, using .15uF, 2kV caps.

In my limited experience, and drawing on Sundog's significant experience, with large pig-powered TCs, run 120bps and the largest cap you can get to fully charge (well over 1.5x resonant). But then you have to deal with an MMC of about 15 strings of 15 caps of the .150uF 2kV CD caps for a ~10kVA TC.

IME, the mounting and soldering 225 caps as well as their sheer volume is well worth the expense of a couple used Maxwell, GE, etc caps (or even new ones?).

Cheers!

Mark Broker