Re: Introduction

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick" <kchdlh@xxxxxxx>

It was around 60 years ago, as I recall, that the president of the ARRL amateur-radio society died in his "ham shack" from electrocution by his 1 KW rig. Ever since then I've been leery of h.v. Likely a mojor reason why I've stuck almost entirely to s.s. t.c.'s Congratulations on your survival!

Ken Herrick

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "miles waldron" <mailto:mileswaldron@xxxxxxxxxxx><mileswaldron@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Astounding, I have been looking for people who really do Tesla Coils, and I
have finally found them!

I have consumed myself reading the Colorado Springs schematics and learning
the hard way how to make a Tesla Coil for over a year now. I am a slow
experimental learner. The very first thing I did was electrocute myself
almost to death with a MOT. I wish I had found this newsgroup before then.
It burned my left index finger down to the bone, and the charge came out my
right hand and has left a deep V shaped scar. A full MOT blast right through
my chest, finger tip to palm. My wife was not at home at the time, and so I
was experimenting with 5 dissected microwave ovens that I got at a garage
sale for $5, while sitting in the living room and watching StarGate. Anyway,
I found myself backwards on the floor, unable to move, breathe, or see. I
just thanked God that I was alive; eventually I got back up from the floor,
and went to work the next day and pretended like nothing happened. It did
not work. My heart still hurts faintly and I have definitely damaged the
ligaments, tendons, and maybe the bones in my shoulders and back. Later, my
wife made me go see a doctor, who did an EKG, and sent me to a hand surgeon.
I can not express the absolute respect that I have for electric current.

I have my first coil up and sort of running and I am very excited and
overjoyed. I am getting around two foot long, very fractal, deep blue
"upside down trees" from a 4-inch sphere. However, I seem to keep killing
NSTs. I have RF chokes and a safety gap before my NST bank. Someone has
informed me there is a construction called the "Terry Filter" that can help
me.

May I ask where I might find more information? Google does not turn anything
up.

Please advise.

Sincerely,

Miles Waldron
Atlanta GA,

Computer Programmer - Electrical Engineer - HV Enthusiast - Q3Arena Player