Re: power....Re: Tesla Receiver Coil ..........success?

Original poster: "Mike" <induction@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Gary,
If you have copper tubing on your primary or if you are going to use a water cooled load this may help.
We use this in induction heating all the time to see how much power is getting from the induction coil to a load.
Say the target is going to be steel pipe and we wish to know what the heater will do, in kilowatts, to that load.
We take a pipe, add hose fittings and flow water through it so we can measure short or long term, the delivered power.
We use two thermometers, one on the input water, one on the output.
We also place a flow meter or vertical tube and ball so we know the rate of flow.
This setup is for degrees in F and US Gallons per minute. No metric conversion needed.
Take the input temp and the output temp through the load without power so be sure both are reading the same.
If different, consider the difference in the final numbers.
Now apply power, measure the difference in degrees F from input to output, say it is 10 degrees.
Take that 10 degrees (F) and multiply times the rate of water flow, say it is 10 GPM (Lets do a reasonably big coil here for you).
Now take that number on the calculator and multiply by .146 (point 146) and the resulting number is in kilowatts.
So, temp difference is 10 F times 10 GPM = 100 times .146 = 14.6 kilowatts
Another; Say 8 degrees (F) difference, 5 GPM times .146 = 5.84 kilowatts.
It is realistic to be able to get 5 GPM through 3/8 tubing at usual street pressures.
You can also scale the flow down so the water is in the load longer.
Google gave many hits but this system is simple. If you do not have a flow meter, clock how long the water takes to fill one gallon and apply that number. Then you only need to measure the temperature. If your supply water temperature is really constant, and you only have one temperature indicator measure that to conform then move it to the output.
Inexpensive method but it works.
You can use the same non-conductive hose we do, for isolation from ground. Available in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 , 5/8 and one inch.
Stuff is good for 1 kV per foot.
Hope this helps,
Mike