Re: To ground or not to ground?

David,

If the Tesla coil is really relatively small (like 12/30 NST powered or
smaller) then you can usually get away with using just the common
house AC ground for the coil. However, with larger and higher pow-
ered systems, seperate RF grounding is crucial to prevent nasty
transient surges from reaking havoc with other electrical appliances
in your house. In my early days of coiling, I burnt out a refrigerator compressor, some sequencing relays in my electric central heating
unit, and also burnt out a wall receptacle on the other side of the
house at just about the same time by using only the house AC ground
without a seperate RF ground for a fair sized coil that I had at the time.
I didn't know any batter at the time ;*O

David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Friday, October 28, 2005 8:42 AM Subject: RE: To ground or not to ground?

Original poster: "david baehr" <dfb25@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Does anyone have stories of using the 'House Ground" for there coil and having bad things happen ??? I was told by another coiler that he used nothing but the house ground , and NEVER had a problem. Now, by using the house ground, this means running a wire directly to the breaker box , not just sticking a wire in the ground receptical of a wall outlet , ?? And, could the nutral of a 240v outlet also be used, since this is connect to ground anyway ?? Heck, I dont know!! Help, please............