Re: Propeller Gaps & Timing!

Original poster: "Jon Danniken" <danniken@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Ken - I'm running a 120 BPS syncronous gap on a 15/60 NST right now, and it
works great.  Perhaps you are thinking of an asynchronous gap; these are
known to be hard on NSTs.

Teslapop - you already know you can test your motor for synchronicity by
spinning it up under a fluorescent light bulb.  Assuming it is, perhaps the
phasing of your gaps with respect to the input voltage "hills" and "valleys"
is off.  Rotate your hub slightly with respect to the motor shaft and see if
it makes a difference - you can get a rough estimate by spinning it under a
fluorescent and ensuring that the rotory electrodes and the stationary
electrodes appear to "line up" in synch with the fluorescent light (I'm
assuming you have a 120 BPS gap).

The other thing to consider is that the gap between the stationary and
rotating electrodes are close enough; I would suggest having the *total*
distance in all rotary gaps to be less than 1/8" (mine are set to 0.03"
inches each; with both gaps this works out to be 0.06" or about 1/16"
total).

You might also consider subbing in a static gap to make sure that everything
else in your TC is functioning properly.  I usually tune this way, as it
eliminates the variable of the rotary gap.

Jon