Re: beaded flat plate disc

Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: David Speck <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> In the days of color TV development, phosphor science was a closely
> held black art.  My high school physics teacher was a phosphor
> chemist for Sylvania before they closed their TV picture tube plant
> in Seneca Falls, NY.

I knew a guy who worked there.  He said that the people from the
manufacturing plant would go to a local disco bar with black lights.
Their skin would glow, since the ground in filth from working in the plant
was actually ground-in phosphor dust.

This guy also experienced an interesting effect with exploding CRTs.  If a
badly-annealed picture tube explodes, you want to be right against it for
safety.  The glass shards are spinning fast, and they all hit you at once,
so you don't get hurt.  But if you're on the other side of the room, the
glass shrapnel behaves like high-speed knives.

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-789-0775    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci