Re: Recent s.s.t.c work

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick" <kchdlh@xxxxxxx>

2 Steves (& others)-

I >am< measuring (differentially) across just the 1-ohm. Since the 1:1 xfmr is in series, I discount it as affecting the current--which is a pretty good sine wave. See
http://www.hot-streamer.com/temp/KCH_TCH4.jpg
top waveform (5 V/cm via 10:1 probes). The 4 m-ohm capacitor-common shunt wave is also shown (at 5 V/cm, directly connected); I connect to the shunt via a ~15 foot tw-pair which I've now (arbitrarily) terminated with 100 ohms at the scope. I set that up differentially also, and since that shunt is referenced to mains common, there's a bit of 60 Hz c.m. voltage there, which the scope seems not to mind.

The 1-ohm wave is about 4 V peak, implying 400 A peak primary current (at a relatively low mains-input from the variac). The other wave is across the (measured) 4 m-ohms; its zero-line is at the 2nd cm from the bottom so the voltage existing at the peaks of the upper wave appears alternately as ~1.8 and ~3.2. That implies peak currents of 450 and 800 A, altho the negative peaks (when the primary drive reverses) are somewhat higher. So...that's a lot better than the wide disparity I seemed to see yesterday but still, somewhat at odds. So Steve Conner, you're no doubt right re current shunts. But this shunt is a commercial Janco item: 2 quite-short flat bars between a pair of substantial brass blocks. Not a whole lot of L there, it would seem, & the waveform seems not too different from what one might expect...right?

Steve Ward, I measure 12 uH and 400 nF for the primary L & C, yielding a calculated Fr of 72 KHz, I believe. Not too far from the (eyeballed) 77. And I do use feedback from the primary's current xfmr to essentially set up an oscillator, during the spark event, with the primary as its resonant circuit. That seems to be working well. I'm presently operating with a 32-cycle gate-duration; when I actually start to make some sparks, I'll consider changing the current selection range from 32/64/128/256/512 cycles to a lower one, as you have suggested.

As to operating w/out the secondary...I seem to keep putting you (Steve W.) in the position of reminding me of things I learned 50 yrs ago & should still attend to--e.g. what limits the primary current. Only problem is, I have to put the whole apparatus on the floor when the secondary is on it, & my old bones really creak when & if I have to crouch down over it to check on this or that. Unhappily, my shop has only an 8 1/2 ft ceiling rather than the 20 ft one I really need these days. And outside, being somewhat on a hill, I have no handy flat area anywhere nearby.

KCH

Steve Ward wrote:
Ken,

Im going to say that if anything, the CT is the correct current. I would personally bypass the 1:1 transformer which is in series with the CT output for now, just to make sure it is not interfereing. You are in fact measuring across the 1 ohm, and not the 1ohm plus the 1:1 Xfmr primary?

The voltage across the shunts, is it a clean sine wave? I could imagine noise spiking much higher than the real current reading. Or perhaps the shunts have too much inductance?

Also, keep in mind that with no secondary, the only thing limiting the primary current in its ring-up is the resistance in the circuit (which shouldnt be much at all!). So at 40% input voltage, i could imagine it possible to achieve 1000A pk. How many cycles are you operating with (i suggest between 5-25 cycles depending on the tank impedance)? And could you give me your tank C and L values?

Final question, are you using feedback for your drive signal? Having the gate drive out of tune with the primary LC could be dangerous.

Well, best of luck in any case. Please get back to me with some more details as im curious to see what is happening with your circuit.

Steve