Re: Why tesla coil is air-cored to operate efficiently at high freq?

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 9 Oct 2005, at 9:17, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Tesla list wrote:
> >Original poster: "D.C. Cox" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> >It's all about time.  It requires a finite period of time to
> >magnetize an iron core, and at high frequencies this time period is
> >too long, so RF coils work better without a core.  This effect will
> >be covered in detail in my forthcoming book, "Tesla's Marvelous
> >Transformer:  The Tesla Coil, which I am presently hard at work on.
> >It looks like approx 650 pages when I finish it with a lot of
> >drawings, figures, and photographs.
>
> This is not necessarily true... Assuming reasonable linearity, all
> that a core does in an inductor is to increase its inductance for a
> given shape and number of turns. The current grows exactly as in an
> air-core coil, more slowly due to the higher inductance. But in a
> transformer, if the magnetizing inductance (the inductance of the
> primary coil) is increased, the transformer works more close to an
> ideal transformer, and so a core is a good thing. In a Tesla coil, we
> don't want an ideal transformer, but just two loosely coupled coils.
> Actually, not even a transformer is required. A directly coupled
> system works too, in the same way (although with less degrees of
> freedom in the design).

An additional note: Adding a core reduces the amount of copper
required in achieving the design goal for a transformer and makes the
finished item more compact for a given I^2.R loss. Note that adding
the core increases the inductance of all coils coupled to it which
also proportionately increases the mutual inductance M leaving the
coupling constant largely unaffected! (except when conductive objects
are located within close proximity to the windings in which case it
increases k somewhat).

Malcolm