Subject: FW: Re: materials of electroddes for Neon gas tubes..

Original poster: mecortner@xxxxxxxxxx

Hi Sam.

The plastic enclosure your using is vary porous, even
if you heat it the dissolved gasses will not come out,
your best bet is to let it pump down for a few hours.
If possible try to lay your hands on one of those
air conditioning service pumps, they can pull a pretty
descent vacuum. Make sure your hose is good for hi-vacuum,
the tygon tubing will usually collapse unless supported
from the inside. About all you really need is a tee fitting
between the pump and enclosure, the tee will go to
your gas bottle. Be sure to get a modern style bottle
that has a shutoff valve on it, don't get the glass
flask type, once the seal is broken all the gas will
be lost. Use a C-clamp to pinch off the tubing near
the pump so you can back fill with gas, once the
discharge looks good clamp off the enclosure side.
It should last for a week or so and go through some
neat color changes, it's a cheap way to play with
gas discharge effects. :-)

---- Matt Cortner ----