Re: AC Resistance of wires - was 8 kHz Tesla Coil

At 02:31 PM 10/6/2005, Tesla list wrote:

Seems to me a word of caution to some of the newcomers to this group
would be in order.  I enjoy these analytical discussions as much as
anyone but wouldn't want them to scare anyone with the idea that they're
necessary for the design or construction of a good working TC.  They're
not, and perfectly good coils can be made by following the many plans
available [and making sure the primary will really tune to the loaded
secondary frequency], or even by cut and try.

Ed

Indeed.. Ed is right.. I built a totally functional tesla coil in a few hours, with almost no formal design.. I actually guessed at the number of turns on the secondary (since I wound it while not paying any attention to how many turns there were).. Just "WAG"ged it, used one of the spreadsheets, spent far too many minutes stripping the insulation off some AWG 12 house wire, used a couple pie tins and some aluminum foil for a toroid.