RE: Cap Size

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

When you say "cascade", I assume you mean paralleling?  Cascading
usually means connecting things with the output of one feeding the input
of the next.

If you're using a static gap, you don't actually *have* to change
anything if you add another NST.  Having two NST's will double the
charging current.  Assuming the gap and cap are unchanged, the cap will
charge twice as fast, up to the same voltage, so your BPS rate will
increase, although your bang size will remain the same.  With more
frequent bangs of the same size, the streamers will be about the same
length, but they will be brighter.

But if you double your total NST current, you can also double your
capacitance.  This will double your bang size, resulting in longer
streamers.  Of course you'll also have to adjust something to keep your
pri & sec in tune - probably best to increase top load as much as
possible.

At some point you may want to consider adding power factor correction
caps in parallel with the NST primaries.  This won't make any difference
in streamer length or appearance, but if your mains current is
approaching your circuit breaker rating, it may keep you from tripping
them.

Increasing the NST current may also increase the demands on the gap.  If
your gap design is marginal, you may need to increase airflow or
heat-sinking ability.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA