Re: Safety gap issues

Hi DC,

Yes to Q1 and No to Q2. It sparked during first turn on of the SRSG when the NST ferroresonated either with the SRSG shut down or the timing off (I cant remember). It was a big bang and startled me, probably had 30KV on the cap limited by the MOVs. I dont know where the spark went to. It probably was to free space.

I think I understand where you are coming from with the grounded electrode being 8 inches in diameter. This would help get a more uniform field that I believe is important for the measurement. Thankyou for explaining the procedure.

Gerry R.

Were you spark this in single shot pulse mode?

Were you using a well rounded ground electrode with a dia. of at least 8 inches in dia?

If you answer to no to both of these questions the measurement was invalid.

Most people forget to use a well rounded ground electrode of approx 1/3rd the dia. of the main terminal. This, along with single shot mode to prevent excessive ions and spark "growth" invalidate this test procedure.

Also, use either the inductance ratio or capacitance ratio equations to validate your tests. Be sure to take on 70% of this value.

These tests are in almost exact agreement with Terry's planar antenna measrement --- which he loaned me for comparison testing.

Dr. Resonance

Hi Dr R.

I dont think even a single shot measurement can be used to estimate the top potential. When my coil was at 1KW with a 6x24 toroid on it, I got a single shot of 18 inches. This would translate to 1.2MV. The initial breakout voltage of the toroid of that size is 500KV. I think the 26.5KV/cm can only be used to estimate potential if the field is uniform and it clearly isn't for these geometries.