Re: Safety gap issues

Hi,

At 04:59 PM 11/27/2005, you wrote:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. People, which is it?

*Vo = Vgap x SQRT(Cp/Cs)

This is the theoretical best case voltage if there were no losses in the system. It is happily derived from pure ideal physics. Of course, that loud hot spark gap is a big loss (about 30%) so the above equation gives too high of voltage in our case of spark gap Tesla coils. From testing over the years, the next equation has been found to be a "pretty" good guess that really is about right in our work.

            OR
*Vo = Vgap x SQRT(Cp/2Cs)

It is simply about 71% of the ideal case.  Sometimes it is written like:

Vo = 0.7 x Vgap x SQRT(Cp/Cs)

But it all works out about the same no mater how it is written.

Cheers,

        Terry