From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Official air breakdown voltage?
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 12:41:00 -0700

At 08:54 AM 11/27/2005, you wrote:
Original poster: "JT Bowles" <jasotb@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I say you are correct. Mostly. Voltage requirements for dielectric beakdown, in this case atmosphere, are linear, at slow-pulse DC

Not precisely true (and on this list, being careful with your wording is important, to avoid confusion.)

Breakdown voltage for a uniform field gap (or one that closely approximates it, as in large spheres separated by a distance much less than their radius) is roughly linear as a function of the product of distance and density (aka Paschen's law).

From what I have been reading lately, AC voltage requirements for the same
dielectric are often much higher. Thus, we can conclude ac requires a much higher voltage to generate, say 1' arcs, than dc does.

Where have you been reading this? I wouldn't conclude this, and neither would most other researchers in the field of HV breakdown, so that "we" might be a bit overstated.

First.. are you talking gas dielectrics or any? Are you talking gases at atmospheric pressure? Which gases? (recombination time varies with the gas).

There are some "rise time" effects.. If you shoot a real fast pulse in, it might not breakdown because the pulse is over before the spark has time to develop. The same kind of thing is true for RF breakdown.. if the field reverses before the ionized atom/electron has time to collide with another to start an avalanche, then the spark might not progress very far.

If you are interested in really learning about spark breakdown.. I'd recommend you find a copy of "Spark Discharge" by Bazelyan and Raizer. It will set you back perhaps $100 or so, brand new, so a library might be a better strategy.

Another good book might be Cobine, Gaseous Conductors, which talks about spark breakdown, although more oriented towards arcs with some stuff about glow discharges. this one was published by Dover in paperback for about $10, so it is cheaper on the used market.

The great lightning book by Martin Uman: "Lightning" also published by Dover (and, unlike Cobine, it's still in print) has a fair amount of stuff on discharge processes.

For HV stuff in general, a good "free" start is the High Power Microwave Transmitter report by William North, which is on hot-streamer.com.
http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/OtherPapers/NorthReport/

Interlibrary loans can be real useful.

A bit of self education will go a long way to eliminating "foot in mount" disease..

Jim