RE: Unpot

Original poster: "Rich" <rdjmgmt@xxxxxxxxxx>

I noticed the same thing as Gary, it looks like it would require a
complete teardown to change the current-limiting on my Jefferson. I will
look into finding a good wire. I know I might loose a volt or two by
that will be no problem because it I put this in a coil I will have up
to 140+ input with my  Varaic power control as my shop has high line
voltage also.

Rich

It's worth pointing out that with my Jefferson 15/60, the core
construction was such that there were no removable current-limiting
shunts that could be removed to increase output current.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Subject: Re: Unpot

Hi,

Often, the old used NSTs we get for free have either a burned out
wire between the secondary winding and the terminal or there is an
internal carbon short path through the tar.  These are very common
failures for NSTs.

Since NSTs can be very hard to get, may folks resort to the surgical
approach to repair them.

Also, once inside, one can remove a few of the core shunting bars to
increase the current of the NST.

The core needs to be insulated, but many folks put it back into an
oil bath rather than replace the tar to make any future repairs far far
easier.

Cheers,

         Terry