Re: Unpot

Original poster: tesla popp <teslas_lab@xxxxxxxxx>

I've to date unpoted more than 100 NST's, and in the
begining I used to kill TONS OF SECONDARY WINDINGS! I
developed a few tricks to saving the transformers...

In your case here's what it the most effective way to
fix it:

(1) using a tweasers, pull the broken peices of wire
away from the rest of the windings at least 3/4".
(2) use a lighter to QUICKLY burn away the enamel
coating from the wire.  You must move with causion as
you will melt the wires easily.
(3) use the finest steel wool you can find to clean
the burnt enamel from the wire(s) in a pulling only
motion. "should require less than 3 passes" [note: be
shure to "blow away" any powder left by the steel
wool*]
(4) now, take a peice if fine stranded wire "#22-#18"
and wrap the super fine wire around the ends of the
stranded wire.
(5) carefully apply HIGH GRADE SILVER SOLDER* to the
ends of the stranded wire,  The solder will engulf the
fine transformer wire in the process
(6) place a peice of plastic under the repaired joint
so it dosen't arc to the windings underneath it.
(7) use hot glue of something similar to cover the
joint "and lead wire if you used one" so that nothing
is pulling on the joint it self.

I've used this repair technique on all the
transformers I've messed up in the depoting process.
If this is unclear, I will give more info and maby
some pics if you truely need them.
I would like to know if it worked for you, so please
tell me if it did.

Good Luck
Coiler Forever: Jeremiah Popp