clarification of legislative attempt re value of pi Re: Official air breakdown voltage?

At 11:32 AM 11/26/2005, you wrote:

Official? In what sense? The great state of Louisiana (I think) was contemplating legislating the value of pi to be 3 for the simplification of children's schoolwork.

I was confused.. It was Indiana. The legislation was referred to the Committee on Swamp Lands (why I thought LA was involved)...

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_341.html provides a summary. I first read about it in my youth in "American Scientist", back when it was in the small "trade paperback" size. Other than that, I have no detailed recollection.