From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, November 24, 2005 11:46 AM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Is NST warmth normal?

Hi,

At 08:40 PM 11/23/2005, you wrote:

>Hi All,
>I recently whipped up a small (3.5) coil and ran it for a little while
>today. My 15kv 60ma transformer and its 2ndaries were quite warm after
>running a few minutes.

The NST is probably dissipating over twice it's normal power.  Since
it was made for Vegas, it will be ok until the tar melts.

>The caps were a -little- warm and the resistors in my
>Terry filter quite warm

The resistors are rated for 350C.  I greatly oversized them so folks
would not fry their fingers if they tried to touch them to see how
hot they were ;-))  As long as the caps are cooler than a baby (37C)
they are fine.

>, but the MOVs were quite cool.

Fine.

>Now when I say warm,
>I don't mean burning hot, but I want my equipment to last a long time! The
>spark length and all seemed quite normal. Any ideas much appreciated.

All sounds normal.

Cheers,

         Terry