Re: Tesla Receiver Coil

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi:

I once made an experiment, designing a Tesla coil operating at 10 MHz, having a telescopic
antenna as topload. The primary was excited by a low-impedance slow square wave generator
where the spark gap would be. In this way, each transition of the square wave produces
a series of beats with energy flowing between the primary and secondary systems.
I made a receiver with exactly the same structure, taking the voltage over the primary
capacitor as output.
With the system correctly tuned, at each burst in the transmitter, the receiver receives
a similar burst, just increasing gradually and decaying more slowly. It shows the same
beats of the transmitted signal.
The system operates at two frequencies simultaneously, with a mess of harmonics and
intermodulation products also transmitted.
The system is very similar to the early Braun system for radiotelegraphy.
Nothing specially efficient, and just plain radio transmission, but an interesting
experiment. If the antennas are at small distance, "echoes" can be observed, as
the receiver retransmits the signal, it is received by the transmitter, and
then transmitted again.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz