Re: Blumlien HV generators

Original poster: robert heidlebaugh <rheidlebaugh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Gerry  Removing the shield dose nor solve the problem it abaits the problem
by removing the capacitance.  Let me explain traveling waves. They are
slower than the speed of light by 12% or more. I use a traveling wave
capacitor on my Nitrogen Laser. I have 4 capacitors 1/2 meter wide and 1
meter long connected to my discharge electrodes that run the length of the
Laser. Each capacitor is double sided PC board. I fire the laser at the
mirror end and the discharge travels the length of the Laser like a
discharge runs the length of a Jacobs ladder. When it gets to the end I have
1 mega watt of UV light to cause the mountain to fluorese. Dangerous yes,
but it works well. at my tungsten mine. When you send a pulse down a coax
cable the same thing happens. The problem comes into play when you consider
the cable's impedance is 50 ohms. If you try to match that you put a 50 0hm
short across your 10 Kv 30 ma transformer and nothing works other than you
smoke test your NST. By using the coax core with no shield the capacitance
is gone so the impedance is as high as is your transformer. I use coax core
for high xoltage wire and add additional vinal hose to the outside for
additional insulation. With silicon grease I can pull 10 foot lengths of
wire through tubing.;
    Robert   H