LTR with pole pigs

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> LTR operation for a pole pig is determined by the
> ballast setting.

OK, so you agree with what I said.

> I've > personally used an LTR cap on a pole pig, and in > short, it rocks.

Cool! That must have been one seriously big cap. What
was the capacitance, ballast inductance, power level
etc?

> Lower the breakrate, increase the tank cap size, and > move to LTR.

The coil I'm talking about is a DRSSTC, so LTR/STR
don't have any meaning, as far as I know. But larger
capacitances do seem to work somewhat better. They
give a higher primary current, so you can achieve the
same spark length with a shorter RF burst.

That makes it more efficient, because if the burst is
too long it mostly heats and fattens the spark rather
than lengthening it.

Steve Conner http://www.scopeboy.com/