[Fwd: Re: PFC Question]

Original poster: vardan <vardan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I don't suppose you have a picture of this setup anywhere?

Thanks!

Justin

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 03:30:10PM -0700, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: Drbillpmt@xxxxxxx
Hi all,
I've been using 1/4-20 SS Acorn nuts for spark gaps for years. Just a couple of weeks ago, I changed to 1/4-20 SS Carriage Bolts with the heads flattened by chucking them into a drill and spinning them against a rotating grinder wheel. This gives me a flat about 3/8 Inch in diameter. With about 150 CFM of air blowing the gap, they survive quit well. Easy to make and cheap!
After over 30 minutes of use, the surface is darkened but still smooth to touch. BTW, the surface was polished on a deburring wheel to remove grind marks. They are mounted in 1/2 x 1-1/2 x 2-1/2 Aluminum blocks using SS nuts to lock them into place, Have also used them mounted in TO-220 Heat Sinks which works well too.
Just do not try to tap the mounting holes, clearance holes with nuts and washers, SS of course, aligns them better.
Dr. Bill