RE: Thinking About A Geiger Counter

Original poster: "Dave Halliday" <dh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Geiger Counters count all kinds of _Ionising_ Radiation.
Ionization is how they work!

The detector has two electrodes and is filled with an inert gas at low
pressure.
When this gas is ionised -- either by a "particle" or by direct action
by an X-Ray or whatever, the gas conducts slightly and an event or pulse
is registered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geiger-M%C3%BCller_tube

They pick up X-Ray's just fine.
Bring your counter to your dentist or doctor next time you have a
checkup and ask to see for yourself...