Re: transformers wanted

At 11:36 AM 11/5/2005, Tesla list wrote:

I am working on a three phase, fully rectified,DC, 12" coil. I am trying to find 3 matched ~ 7200V (or a 3 phase) plate transformers or? that can preferably accept 240v input and handle 3KA each for brief runs.

You might look for plate supplies for high power radio transmitters, say based on some form of beam tube (klystron, for instance). you're a little low on power for where 3 phase and that high a voltage would be attractive, but you never know.

Peter Dahl transformers ( a big maker of custom plate transformers in Texas) probably has exactly what you want, but it will be muy pricey as brand new. However, looking through their catalog of replacement transformers might give you a clue as to what kind of transmitters to look for.

Lots of radio and TV stations are dumping their tube transmitters in favor of solid state these days.

You'd also likely find some nice inductors.

Long streamers,
Jim Mora
Ojai,ca