Re: Tesla Receiver Coil ..........success?

Original poster: mecortner@xxxxxxxxxx

>I have at most a pound or a pound and a half and the stuff is in
>such a hard phenolic binder that I doubt if you'd be able to grind
>them up well enough for your purposes. As for ferrites, there are
>many different mixes of course and don't know where you could buy the
>powder in lots of a few pounds. At least some outfit's I have been
>involved with formulate their own. You might contact a California
>outfit called Micrometals to see what they might provide. I'm sure
>you'll find them with a Google search, as well as finding ferrite
>vendors. Micrometals got started as a small outfit making pressed
>iron mechanical parts and then someone got them into the business of
>making powdered iron cores for RF uses. They're a standard supplier
>of RF cores now, both toroidal and otherwise.
>By the way, I'm not sure that you can make a satisfactory core
>for a generator by mixing powder in epoxy. Maybe too much air
>space? I don't know much about the subject but would hate to see you
>go to a log of trouble only to end up in disappointment.

>Ed

If what you have is already bound in a resin then I won't be able to use it. Not many places will sell small quantities of the raw powder but I will check with Micrometals, maybe I'll get lucky. What I have now is a handful of flyback and small SMPS cores, just enough for a real small prototype, it will be built upon a muffin fan frame. As to weather or not the core will be suitable is still up in the air, a few guys on the web have made cores for other types of generators out of magnetic black sand and epoxy, they reported good success with the combination, so I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. Malcolm had a good way to test a sample cross section to determine if it would saturate or not but in this application the core is more of a shield for the back side of the windings. This thing is one of Tesla's old patents for a no-drag generator that I'm intending for use on a mini coil.

---- Matt Cortner ----