Re: PFC Question

Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Original poster: "David Rieben" <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I have a question about power factor correction of
> the input to a pole pig transformer. I tried adding
> 700 uFd of PFC to the input to my 15 kVA pig

where did you take the "700uF" value?
what are you going to correct - leakage inductance of a pig, the
primary inductance of a pig, ballast inductance or all this together?

name the values of all 3 inductances and the target of the correction -
i`ll calculate the capacitance.  to do this i must also know the
transformation ratio of the pig and the capacitance of your primary
cap.

> The variac is (2) paralleled 1256D Powerstats

what`s the current of one without a load (at full line V)?

> I've heard that PFCs aren't even necessary with large pole
> pig systems.

if there`s no inductive ballast (or it`s very small) - yes,
unnecessary, coz impedance of the leakage inductance of the pig is
very little (even comparing with the impedance of a primary cap
of a powerful coil).