Re: Ozone

Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Ed

> Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx> snip >the component leads where loose. > >Also the screws of the cases where rusty. I repaired them and coated the > >boards. They again failed due to corrosion. > >Though the screws where uniformly rusty the board tracks and joints where > >not all effected. So perhaps the corrosion was accelerated by flux residues > >caused by hand soldering of some components after the board was cleaned. > >Interestingly the metal parts of the brush discharge electrodes though caked > >with a tar like substance had not corroded. > >Note also in one case in the same 1000squre foot room there was a pc that > >did not show any signs corrosion so it was not a general corrsion problem. > > > >I had one in the bedroom. Though I did not perform a double blind experiment > >I become convinced that it gave me a stuffy and irritated nose and > >discontinued it use. > > > >Robert (R. A.) Jones snip > > Our experience sure is different from fairly similar setups! I > wonder if it is because I have a fan which circulates the air fast > enough that no ozone accumulates locally? Of course, it may diffuse > so fast that there isn't any accumulation. My fan is rigged to pull > unexposed air past the electrical components and the UV bulb and the > exhausts it directly. > > Ed >

In the case of the tube type ozone generator it had no means other
convection to move the ozone about.
In the case of the brush discharge the points produced a light but easily
felt (on the face) flow of air.
I drilled large ventilation holes in both after they first failed.

Perhaps your right your relatively strong flow of air may have prevented a
high concentration locally.
I noticed that when the air conditioner was not on, the smell of ozone was
much stronger in the immediate vicinity of the generator and barely
detectable 30 ft away.
Presumable the ozone was decomposed before it had defused 30ft.

Robert (R. A.) Jones
A1 Accounting, Inc., Fl
407 649 6400