Re: Distilled water as a dielectric?

Original poster: "Steve Cook" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 6:43 AM Subject: Re: Distilled water as a dielectric? De-ionised water also leaches material out of some container materials. Back in the late 60s the lab I worked in had problems with water purity used for imunological diagnostic tests, we were unable to obtain 100% negative results when DI water was stored in HDPE. New soda-glass containers produced the same problem. In the end glass containers were cleaned with dilute HCl (followed bywashes in de-ionised water and air drying) to solve the problem. For really critical purposes one has to be aware that gases from the atmosphere will dissolve, not just CO2, but O2, N2 and anything else that might be around. A new mixed bed de-ioniser cartridge will deliver water of 0.1-50microSiemens conductivity, depending on cartridge and fill type, is this pure enough?

Original poster: Greg Morris <gbmorris@xxxxxxxxx>
...It's pretty simple, but would be adjustable and have a range of
capacitance up to
0.022302 uF according to the equation C=8.85*10^-12*DC*A/D * (N-1) where C
is capacitance, DC is dialectric constant, which of distilled water is
conservatively estimated to be 70, A is area and is 225cm² (15cm * 15 cm),
D is plate spacing and is 5mm, and N is the number of plates which is 9. A
couple of diagrams are found here. (unfortunately those images didn't take
the uploading process very gently, for a better look feel free to email me
at GBMorris@xxxxxxxxx). Anyhow this capacitor design seems very simple and
I'm rather surpised no one else seems to use distilled water.... Is there a
reason for this; am I missing something?
There, hope that was clear. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Greg

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.322 / Virus Database: 267.2.0 - Release Date: 5/27/05