Re: Secondary Turn Spacing

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr@xxxxxxx>

I wound mine on a 12X56 tube no spacing with #18 wire double formvar... I use a pole piggie ( modified) to output 30KV @ 12 KVA ( actually its 2 14.4 KV piggies in series driven with 4 1256D variacs parallel/series for 280 vac input to the piggie) well maybe the math is off a tad I'm pulling 60-70 A on the 240 side ( the amp meter wavers between 60 and 70 at full variac voltage seems to run 60 A on free air streamers and 70 A on a toroid to ground strike) cant get much more than that due to the 75A circuit breaker... toroid is 12X 58 aluminum duct tape covered

free air streamers are running 8-12 feet with 12-14' capacities from toroid to a ground rod ... occasionally the system will go from toroid to "real" ground in a wide arc... direct line is 10" but considering the actual arc of the streamer... 12 - 14 ' easy

Im using a SRSG and 4 Maxwell caps equally rated for 50KV and at about .014uF ( given the age and abuse maybe .010uF )

OK heres the question do you want to go thru the trouble to wind spacers and what not to only find out that what you did made no difference? or just to wind the coil with wire as "normal" and still have the same or better results?...

I have never been a proponent of space winding.... seems to be a waste of time and good fishing line....

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Cameron B. Prince" <cplists@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to wind a new secondary and I wanted to get your input
turn spacing. The coil will be wound on a 12" diameter PVC form and I will
be using #17 AWG enamel coated solid wire. The coil will be driven by a 15KW
pole pig @ 14,400V. The topload will be a 10" x 30" spun aluminum toroid.

I was considering using 17lb. test nylon fishing line to space the turns in
an effort to minimize distributed capacity.

Could you guys give me your opinions on this?

Thanks,
Cameron