Re: Safety gap in pole pig coiling

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

A single ball to a ground ball off the hot "active" bushing is all that is required because the other terminal is at ground potential.

Also use approx 8-10 200 Watt, 500-600 Ohm resistors connected parallel ---
this bank then connected in series with the output.

Even pole pigs should have some protection to keep RF out of the sec windings --- very hard on any xmfr.

Dr. Resonance

I have a basic question concerning my pole pig coil. I have found that many schematics, mostly of NST type coils, have a three ball safety gap, the middle ball being connected to ground and the NST case. This could be RF ground or its own dedicated ground. But my pig is different because its case is not a center tap for the secondary winding. I have connected the mains ground from my 240v plug to the case of the pole pig, also one of the HV bushings, as per recommendations from Dr. Resonance in a recent post. Is a three ball safety gap necessary, and if so, what to connect the middle ball to? By the way I am using a sucker gap for now as my main gap, set rather close. It does seem to be its own safety gap, but I want to experiment with rotary spark gaps as well. Any reply would be very welcome.
Robert Hanford