Re: HV transformer questions

Original poster: David Speck <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Jolyon,

I have units like these. They provide DC output to run the corona wires in photocopiers. They are usually potted inside, and not much use for coil work, being rated for only 5 milliamps output.

Dave

Would this item be suitable for powering a Tesla coil? Apparently it was made by Woden for Rank Xerox -for what purpose? The third line on the box reads "INPUT 98-122 VOLTS 50~ 0.5VA" but the fifth line reads "S.C 5MA MAX" and 8kV at 5mA is 40VA so this does not make sense to me -any explanations? And why is it so heavy?

Jolyon