Re: Problems with Information Unlimited transformer

Original poster: Karl Lindheimer <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Matt,

I am not familiar with the BTC3 Tesla Coil from Information Unlimited, but unfortunately your problem accurately describes a shorted secondary to ground winding. This can occur from several causes. The most likely with a new transformer is a manufacturing defect. Your best bet is to claim the tranny was bad when you plugged it in, and see if they will express ship you a replacement. If you can physically access the carbonized short, you may be able to repair it. Perhaps when you shorted the cap to ground, it caused an overvoltage, destroying some insulation. But since the instructions tell you to do that test, again, it should be covered.

Good luck with your project, and keep us posted as to what you find.

Karl