Re: Current Limiting and Impedence

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Gerry,

On 14 May 2005, at 1:12, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Gerald  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi Malcolm,
>
> My CRC chemistry and physics book shows the following properties of
> silicon iron:
>
> mu = 500 @ 20 gauss
> mu_max = 7000
> Bsat = 19700 gauss
> Wh = 3500 ergs/cm^2  @ saturation (hysteresis loss)
>
> Interesting to compare to insulated powder - 2-81 permalloy (I assume
> your N27 ferrites are in this catagory???)
>
> mu = 125 @ 20 gauss
> mu_max = 130
> Bsat = 8000 gauss
> Wh = ---  don't know what this means, maybe negligible and if so =>
> little or no core loss??

Bsat is more like 500mT (== 5000 Gauss?) for N27 (3C85) material. The
material exhibits far lower losses than iron in hard switching use up
to about 100kHz. It is most commonly used in the older SMPS. The
newer ones switching in the 300kHz+ range are most likely 3Fx type
material.

> The smaller mu might be good if one wants a small inductance but the
> lower B saturation may mean larger core area.

Quite true. I thought at the time it was an idea worth exploring as I
had a bundle of old SMPS components rescued from rubbish skips on
hand. It works well given that a typical primary side ballast is
often in the 10 - 30mH inductance range.

Malcolm