Re: Need a Variac

Original poster: Fucian@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 5/13/2005 1:55:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

At 14:44 12/05/05 -0600, you wrote:
>Or, could tell me if, and by ho wmuch, a variac can safely be overdriven?

I think you can overdrive them up to twice the rated current if you only do
short runs with breaks to let it cool down.

>I have jsut a 4.5amp

If you overdrove it to 8A at 120v that's 960w which is about 52 spark
inches. enough?

Steve Conner

Yes, that sounds like plenty for me...I actually dont think my system would even survive more than 36inchs...Ive got my eye on several variacs, so if i get outbid again on them all, I will just force my little one to cope until it finally dies..

Thanks to all who have helped!

Matt