Re: Cost of Silicon for DRSSTCs

Hi Steve,

I am not sure that IGBT(size, cost, whatever) / foot of streamer length is a valid measure. IGBT size and cost is more related to the primary current they can handle. We run about 2X their peak rating and you can go to 3X if your feeling lucky ;-)) Some have gone higher still. The coil in my DRSSTC stuff is only running 200 peak primary amps right now which is actually inside their rating. I will have more to say about the primary current vs. streamer length subject latter.

My IGBTs run about $7 in QTY 10. I think you need to decide if you are going to use new purchased IGBTs or Ebay/free ones. I like the new ones since I can always easily get more. DigiKey seems to be a fine choice for the common small ones. Rell.com and Mouser for the big ones along with Ebay for the giants.

I think you should figure on needing 20 of them (4 explosions). That seems to be about what people are seeing before their coils are stable.

Cheers,

        Terry