RE: DC coil without the voltage doubler resoance charge inductor?

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Jim,
         Deciding whether to put the choke on the primary or
secondary side of the transformer can be summed up with a simple
comparison:

Pros for primary side choke (often referred to as the "ballast"):
- high BIL-rated transformer has to withstand all the extra voltage
burden which it is suited to do; the choke is transformed to the
secondary side where it resonates with the primary cap
- choke can be a small value but has to withstand high currents

Pros for secondary side placement:
- choke has to operate at high voltages and be insulated to do so
while removing the voltage burden from the transformer
- current is lower but inductance has to be high

There are probably other factors I've forgotten to mention.

Malcolm