Re: Hello from new Member

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Matthew,

I'm not trying to stomp your dream, but it might be best to start much smaller at around 3-4 feet first. It will give you a better understanding of how things work before building such a beast. That might also be part of what is scarring off suppliers of needed parts.

David E Weiss

Original poster: "Matthew Newall (skymatty1)" <skymatty1@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello to all.

I thought I should introduce myself as I will no doubt be seeking much help as I embark on my first Tesla coil project. :-)

I am planning on building my first coil ASAP and would be gratful for any help and advice you may be able to offer. I would like to start of by building a medium sized coil (I know I should really start with a small one but I have this habbit of trying to running before I can walk ) and would like to find out some information on where to find and how too's. I am based in West Sussex UK and as hard as I have treid I am finding it difficult to locate suppliers for second hand pole pigs and other High voltage stuff that I could use for coil making.

As I will be starting to collect the compoents from scratch I am flexible on the design and component layout of the coil, but I would like to produce a coil that will produce stremers of at least 15ft to start with. I am mad (probably) :-) but i fell that with my electronics knowlege and willing to learn feel this may be just possible with your help.

For this size coil would it be more prudent to go the Power distribution transformer route or a bank of MOV transformers ect. As i can see advantages in both. and would a coil this size be best suited to a Rotary spark gap or static .. ect.

If anyone has any thoughts on this I would be very gratful for your input.

Thanks in advance

Mat