Terry's DRSSTC 6000 BPS testing

Hi All,

On Thursday evening Gerry, Dave and myself played with my DRSSTC at up to 6000 BPS at full power. We could compare the coil's operation at 40 ? 300 BPS in a standard mode of operation to its operation at 1000 ? 6000BPS in the burst mode.

The 6000 PBS burst mode seemed to produce roughly 20% longer arcs than the standard mode. The long and short variation with a small change in BPS was still there. However the magnitude of the variation was less at full power. The variation was approximately plus and minus 20% of the standard mode's arc length. So it was significant still

The longer arc length at very high BPS seemed to be due to much hotter and more sword like streamers. In the standard mode, the coil reaches a point where longer T1 times simply do not make any longer arcs. But at much higher BPS rates, the arcs seems to ?shoot? better and longer by roughly 20%. Where the 300BPS streamers are a bit brush like, the 6000 BPS streamers are very will defined spiders.

So the difference was not dramatic, but there was some significant gain in streamer length. Most interesting is the form the streamers take at very high BPS. They are a high pitched load bang almost like a hammer hitting damped steel. They are not all all a brush discharge but very defined hot mult-branched arcs. The streamers have a hot yellow color to them in low light. The high energy 6000BPS streamers may be very unpleasent to get hit by!! No one knows how they would ?feel?, but grate caution should be used. Streamers like this are in very uncharted territory and the dangers are not known.

I did seem like the 6000 BPS streamers worked best with the streamers directed straight upward from a sharp wire from the center of the toroid. I think Duane Bylund noticed this too many years ago with his solid state coils.

The coil took many secondary to strike rail and secondary to primary arcs without failure! The DRSSTC protectors where the only real change and they seems to do the trick! For the first time, the coil was used hard without failure!

The camera video is about 29 minutes long and 300Mb in VCD format :-p I have passed along a few clips to the DRSSTC fans, but I don't have a way to distribute the 450G bytes to all 1500 folks :-( If anyone knows a super good way to compress video without killing sound and video quality I would like to know about it. I can supply tape in VHS and S-VHS... It is all very visual but it is frustrating not to be able to show everyone. The fast pulses need high quality video too...

So, the test seemed to raise a few more questions than answers, but it did define basic limits to what very high BPS can do.

Much to ponder...

Cheers,

	Terry