Re: Induction Coil Cap Discharger ( was: No Terry Filter)

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Main problem, is to find a non-saturating charging-inductor.

Gosh, it looks like an iron cored version of one of my OLTCs :P I used an inductor salvaged from a speaker crossover kit in mine. It was about 6mH IIRC.

In an automotive application this would be called "CDI"- Capacitor Discharge Ignition. I've mostly seen it on motor bikes. Cars mainly still use the classic system but with the points replaced by an IGBT under computer control. Fairchild make special IGBTs for ignition with transient protection built in.

The auto guys say that CDI gives a very short spark duration and the longer spark of classic ignition gives better burning of the charge.

On a related note- Paul Brodie asked if he could use a Transzorb in place of a MOV. I think it should work fine, if not better than a MOV.

Steve Conner