Re: Beading caught on film.

Original poster: "Gerald  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Mike,

The coil was a classical spark gap (either static SG or SRSG) TC powered from NST's. The phenominum occured at 500W and 1KW power levels (and using a smaller coil as well). I can draw a 5 foot arc and there would be a 3 or 4 inch segment of the arc close to but not touching the grounded strike point that would be about twice as bright as the rest of the arc. The position of the segment would not change from one streamer to another.

Gerry R

Original poster: "Mike" <induction@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Gerry,
Interesting arc related question. I've read that with DC welding in certain systems, the cathode runs something like 1/3 hot compared to the anode, at 2/3 hot. Current direction flow issue I guess.
I know if I draw an arc in the discharge tube, even 6 feet long, I can get the Stainless base to show Blue staining when I access it again but never see this in the top electrode. The top is usually negative, the base is usually positive and grounded.
Do you notice this in DC only?
Mike

Original poster: "Gerald  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Terry,

I think it is a picture just before you burned your house down :-)) Seriously, when I draw a power arc to a grounded object, there always seems to be a segment of the arc near the grounded object that is twice as bright as the rest of the arc. Any ideas on what that might be and could this be the same phenominum??? What are beads (in the airplane picture)??? I havent heard this term before.

Gerry