Re: Need help Tuning a new coil (reply)

Hi Jim,

At 09:32 AM 5/2/2005, you wrote:

Ok Terry now you've got me really scared! No seriously I reinput my data into a spreadsheet and win-Tesla and I'm getting conflicting results.
Spreadsheet Input
4.5"= outside diameter of my pvc pipe
22 gauge wire
21" length
Output
Wire dia=0.025
Turns/in=39.4
number turns @ 97%=803
14.2 mH
Win-Tesla results varies somewhat.
This is the data I built my coil to. I guess I'm still missing some rudimentary concept.

The numbers differ slightly from what I thought you had but not a big deal.

I'm trying to find the papers on the caps I'm using for the safety gap. Printed on the cap is N4700 30k. I'm wondering if this is the biggest part of my problem.

If they are 4700pF it IS! If they were 470pF I would think the label would be 471 for 47 with one zero behind it.... But goodness nows since no two people label odd caps the same... Best just to use a capacitance meter if you have one.

The main cap I'm using is rather large. Can a large resistor be wired across the terminals in a similar manner as the MMC configuration or is it safer to discharge the caps another way?

Just wire up a bunch of 1 of 10 Meg resistors. Do not directly short primary caps since the high currents might damage them.

Cheers,

        Terry

Thanks
Jim