Re: New Coil

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Not the leakage, but it was still .03 uF before took it apart. Each section (before I unrolled them, looking for holes/burns) was .06 uF.

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 8:06 PM
Subject: Re: New Coil

Original poster: "Gerald  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Wow! Didn't know the maxwells were good for that much current. Doesn't sound like a current spec failure, although a defect (I suppose) could result in a current failure. Have you tried to measure capacitance and leakage.

GerryR

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Finished dissecting the one with the crack. Tomorrow I'll post pics with desciptions tomorrow, need to get a shower and take a nap. I was quite surprised that these ARE designed like the 942C's with 2 sets of foil and a strip of metal film in the middle. 8 sections each about the size of a hershey bar. Connected in 4 sets of 2 parallel with lead clad copper strip and 3 layers of fish paper/2 layers of hdpe plastic seperating the sections. Only damage I could find was 1 of the connections between the sections was kinda loose compared to the others, which means too much peak current at one point. The weak connection heated up till the oil expanded and popped the case I guess. Had to have been from previous use as I don't see how I could hit over 25kA peak (40kA dead short with just a straight piece of wire)/25A rms with the mediocre-sized coil I was using. Oh well, hit or miss I guess, still better than buying new for $600 a pop. Have 3 others I might trade in for the 942C's ($115 worth to equal a maxwell, except 1300Apk instad of 25000 Apk rating, and new).
\