Re: Terry's DRSSTC - Class of Operation?

Hi Malcolm,

At 03:39 PM 5/1/2005, you wrote:
Hi Terry,
          You're heading towards CW operation (some way to go yet
though). That first picture appears to be without a significant
output discharge (maybe air streamers only?)

They are all air streamers about 1++ foot long.

- the rings will
disappear a lot faster when the coil connects with something. I'm not
sure how new this really is.

Some streamers are long others short. It depends on where the last streamer's ringdown is at and if it syncs up with the next. If the next streamer is in phase with the ringing of the secondary, the streamers are very long. If they are out of phase, the streamers are very short. It almost seems like an out of sync pulse can suck the streamer arc path dry. Sort of poisons the streamer....

I found it was quite possible to achieve
even closer-to-CW operation (Like virtually no sag between bangs with
bangs just several cycles apart) with a disruptive coil using a
MOSFET gap timed to sub-uS tolerances.

Cool!!

That was without any discharge
of course and also at much lower power than you are running. I came
across some scope photos of those expts while wading through a pile
of shots looking for the Marx-related pics I promised I'd dig out.

Neat!

It seems like when the BPS rate is very high, so the secondary still has substantial energy in it when the next bang occurs, one can time and sync the next cycle to last to really get the streamer length up! I am hoping that the streamers will be much longer in that case than we normally expect! The controller is programmed now to go to full power >:)) Just have to wait for the stupid snow to dry off...

Parallax has a new processor (BS2px) that is fully compatible and runs 60% faster. This may be useful in getting the BPS rate above one's hearing. Around 3000 BPS is really obnoxious on one's nerves! But at 6000 BPS it just pleasantly cracks. I need to think about modifying the controller I have for LCD display and all too. The super computer version would be a whole new controller...

There is a load of fun to be had controlling streamers at the uS level ;-)))

Cheers,

        Terry

Malcolm