Photos of Super Static Gap Internals

Original poster: "James Zimmerschied" <zimtesla@xxxxxxx>

Hello,
I have just sent some pictures of the internals of the "super static gap" design by Bob Svangren for posting on the Tesla List website (thanks to Terry).

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/JamesZ/

I would like to note that the spark area is evenly distributed over the whole washer face (blow up the photo to see this). This may be one reason for good power transfer to the secondary. This gap was used for about a total of 30 minutes run time over several months. There was no pitting, just an even oxide film.

Bob is of the opinion that the gap works better after a little burn in time.

Computer mouse pad foam works well for the cushion between the plates. If you can get the backing off the foam before you glue it in, it would be better because this stuff (backing) seems to be peeling off on its own during use.

Jim