Re: Newbie polyurethane mistake

Original poster: "Bart B. Anderson" <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Tom,

I've done the same thing with a flat secondary once. I ended up peeling off the hardened layer (as quickly as manageable). The inside then dried but was very bumpy. I then sanded it down flat and recoated, this time letting it dry. I've found a light sanding between coats is important for a high quality finish (just like the directions say).

I always wondered, however, if I would have let it get a lot of sunlight if maybe this would sun-bake the coil dry. Thought of this too late to ever try. May be worth a shot for you.

Good luck,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Coyle, Thomas M." <tcoyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Having never worked with polyurethane before, I made what I'm sure is a
super-newbie mistake, and I'm wondering if there's any way to rectify
it.

I coated my secondary with about 7 coats of polyurethane (until I
couldn't feel the ridges of the turns). Unfortunately, I didn't let each
coat fully dry before putting the next one down. Now, the outside is
rock-solid, but if you press with a finger, the coating will buckle and
peel. The bottom layers are still gelatinous, while the top is solid.
It's been sitting for 6 weeks while I work on other things, and that
inside just won't dry (if I pick off some of the top, it's still moist
below). This would seem to be a great testament to how wonderful
polyurethane is at sealing out (or in) moisture.

Is there any way to salvage this secondary? Can poly be baked to finish
curing? Will the gelatinous poly cause flashovers or some other
nastiness? Has anyone ever made this mistake before (say yes - it'll
make me feel better)?

Thanks,

Tom