Re: Tesla's CS Coil Data from ScanTesla and all....

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,

On 27 Jun 2005, at 16:25, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx
>
> In a message dated 6/26/05 5:06:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
>

> >Original poster: "Bart B. Anderson" <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> >Cool, thanks Terry (I'm really not going crazy!).
> >
> >I modeled the Wendover coil and came up with a completely different
> >set of parameters (thus, my concern). I can say the Wendover coil
> >primary and secondary info was excellent. Both were about 43 kHz. The
> >tertiary interestingly was closer to 100 kHz. Something is wrong with
> >the 3rd coil setup (either very wrong or something is seriously
> >missing. i.e., force driven? because it is "absolutely not" resonate
> >to the primary and secondary - even with huge toploads.).
>

> Bart,
>
> Normally in a magnifier design, the tertiary coil is not actually
> resonant with anything else.  It's the combination of the tertiary
> coil and the secondary coil which taken together are resonant with the
> primary.  The secondary and tertiary coil behave as a single coil in
> some ways.  Antonio has worked up equations for building a design
> which can trap all the energy in the tertiary at one time (provided
> the quenching is adequate), but Tesla did not design his coil that
> way.  Also regarding the coupling, the overall coupling of a magnifier
> system is lower than the the driver coupling.  Antonio also has an
> equation for this.
>
> John

Agree. The figures Bart gives above actually fit with Tesla's stated
goal of driving the extra coil with an 1/8 wavelength (at the
frequency of the extra coil) source. He needn't have bothered. In all
cobbled-together mag setups I've tried measurement shows there is a
single _strong_ resonance (and a multitude of weak ones) which as
John says is easily found by mathematically treating the resonator
and secondary as a single unit (L's summed and Medhurst C's summed).
When all's said and done, tuning for maximum smoke shows where the
truth lies.

Malcolm