Re: My next step?

Original poster: "Bart B. Anderson" <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Mike,

Yes, a program would be handy. The topload will change the resonator frequency, and a program designed to model these changes well will certainly help identify parameters before you begin the build. That, after all, is the whole idea of a program. I would recommend JAVATC. Of course, I may be slightly biased.
http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc.html

Working with JAVATC takes a little understanding of TC physics to use it properly. JAVATC will model a coil with very high accuracy if it's given "real" and "accurate" input data (and nothing is left out). Should you use it and have questions, I'm always here to answer questions. BTW, Internet Explorer 6 will perform better than "any" other browser. It's amazing the difference a simple browser can make. It can also be used offline if downloaded.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Mike Knowlton" <amdx@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I have wound my 8-1/2" x 42" coil.
I will be using a spark gap for this iteration.

 I think next I'll buld a table to hold the ass'y.
Do I need to build my toroid before I can calculate my primary coil?
I'm trying to figure out the O.D. of my primary in order to
figure the size of my table top.

 Is it time for my to start using a program to optimize?
Which one?

                                              Mike